Tributes have been paid to a “beautiful” young woman who died after contracting bacterial meningitis
Dozens of heartfelt messages have poured in for Michelle Whyte, who sadly passed away at Victoria Hospital in Kirkcaldy after contracting the rare meningococcal form of the killer disease.
In an online tribute, her aunt Amanda Studders wrote, “Yesterday I lost my beautiful niece. It feels like I’m in a dream - I’m waiting on the call to say, "Auntie Mandy, I’m coming over for the weekend – I’ve got wine and nibbles". I love you so much little darling. I’ll see you again.”
Her fiance’s dad, Edward Guilar, also paid tribute on social media. He said, “Today my son Jake lost his beautiful fiancee, Michelle Whyte, to meningitis. Michelle, you were a beautiful, beautiful person - you will be terribly missed by the Guilar family. RIP.”
Michelle served as Ladies’ Vice President at Markinch Bowling Club. They posted on their Facebook page, “It is with great sadness that we pass on the news that Michelle Whyte has passed away after a short illness. Michelle will be remembered fondly by all who knew her.”
Reminder about the symptoms
Michelle’s death prompted NHS Fife to issue a reminder about the symptoms of meningitis.
Consultant in Public Health Medicine, Dr Chris McGuigan, said, “Whilst an uncommon infection, invasive meningococcal disease can be very dangerous, so it is particularly important to know what to look out for in terms of symptoms.
“These can include fever or vomiting, severe headache, stiff neck, dislike of bright lights, drowsiness and rash that does not disappear if pressed with a glass.”
Familiarise yourself with the signs and symptoms of meningitis.