As many of our supporters will know, viral meningitis can often lead to long-term debilitating after-effects.
Meningitis and Me* was an opportunity to hear directly about people’s experiences of living with the after-effects of viral meningitis. People told us that they experience memory loss, exhaustion, headaches, anxiety, depression, dizziness/balance problems and hearing difficulties. These after-effects can lead to time off education or work, and a daily struggle with tasks that so many people take for granted.
We used the information people generously shared with us to inform our strategy for the next five years – Vision 2020, so that together we can continue to fight viral just as much as bacterial meningitis.
So, what are we doing at Meningitis Now to be “vocal about viral”?
- Continue to raise awareness about viral meningitis, so people know what to look for, when to get help and what to expect afterwards
- Continue to provide support, including access to complementary therapies.
- Provide e-learning materials for pharmacists (available early summer) to support them to be better informed and able to answer questions
- Encourage health care professionals to carry out important follow-up appointments for people who have had viral meningitis
- Develop and support further research into the causes and effects of viral meningitis
Remember, no-one has to deal with the impact of viral meningitis on their own.
Call our helpline on 0808 80 10 388. Email: email@example.com.
*The Meningitis and Me research project was commissioned by Meningitis Now and delivered in partnership with Alterline, an independent research agency.