The after-effects reported include:
- Memory loss
- Dizziness/balance problems
- Hearing difficulties
- Noise intolerance
- Light aversion
Ten per cent of people responding to the survey were still experiencing after-effects six to 12 months after their initial illness and an additional 7% still had after-effects that lasted for more than one year.
“Viral Meningitis Week is all about getting people to talk about the disease, its symptoms and its after-effects. We want this year’s week to improve vital awareness of the disease and its true impact – with the public, health professionals and employers. Help is at hand if you or a family member is suffering from viral meningitis. Meningitis Now is there to help you when you need them and for as long as you need them – get in touch.”
Dr Ellie Cannon
Our support can make a real difference and we are committed to reaching out to everyone affected. We offer practical, emotional and financial support for all those living with the impact of the disease. We support individuals and their families, helping to rebuild lives after meningitis.
- Listen and answer your questions.
- Talk to you about your individual experience and how we can tailor our help to you
- Visit you in your own home and provide support locally to you
- Put you in touch with others who have been through it too
- Provide financial assistance for unexpected costs following meningitis
- Support you and those closest to you – children, teenagers and adults
Look out for more information on viral meningitis on this page throughout the week and visit our VocalAboutViral pages here