Happy volunteers make a difference at RideLondon!
Our volunteers have been very busy over the last month and one of the highlights was the Prudential RideLondon-Surrey 100 on Sunday 4 August, where a super team of volunteers supported the 41 riders fundraising for Meningitis Now. So far, their fundraising has reached over £26,000 and money is still coming in. It makes a huge difference to these riders to be welcomed with a friendly face, cheered on and taken care of as they come to the finish line.
Our volunteer team was made up of Community Ambassadors Vanessa Whiting and Lynette Adjei, as well as Lynette's husband Nick, Barry Patrick from Northern Ireland and two new young volunteers, Ed Cook and Molly Bennett, who had a great first outing and are super keen to be more involved with our work.
Vanessa took some great photos and Lynette, Nick, Barry, Ed and Molly took care of all the riders. Barry gave us this touching feedback: "I felt so proud, just to be a representative of Meningitis Now."
Thank you all for your invaluable contribution to making this a fantastic day and a successful event. If you are inspired by this story, we are looking for volunteers to help out at the Great North Run on Sunday 8 September and our own Five Valleys Walk on Sunday 29 September. Send us an email now at firstname.lastname@example.org!
Alice Austin represented Meningitis Now at a charity car wash in memory of Freya Gerrish. Alice said, "It was a privilege to be involved with this lovely family. I have never handed out so many signs and symptoms cards to so many at a fundraising event. Those fire fighters at the Slough station were BRILLIANT!" Freya's family also organised a fantastic golf day and Alice went along to represent us in the evening.
New volunteer Hayley Falzone set up an awareness stand at an event in her sister's village in Essex called "A Bit of A Do". She followed up by running an awareness stand at her local doctors' surgery, where they now have leaflets in the rack and the signs and symptoms poster on their plasma screen in the waiting area. Not content with that, Hayley has plans to go back and do more!
In Wales, Alison Westwood went along to speak at Bethel Baptist Church in Pontyclun and at an event organised by Laura Davidson in memory of her daughter Eva.
In 2018 collection tins in shops, offices and local businesses raised nearly £30,000 for us. This month Anne Peters, Sara Otty, Maxine Scott-Harman and Sophie Coghlan, whose mum kindly helped out, have been to pick some of them up and pay in the pennies.
A great big thank you to each and every one of you for taking the time to make a difference!
Welcome to new volunteer, London-based Pooja Nerurkar!
Join the team! Cheer on our riders, runners and walkers!
- Great North Run 2019 - Sunday 8 September, Newcastle Upon Tyne
- Five Valleys Walk 2019 - Sunday 29 September, Stroud area
- Donation Stations - GWR are supporting us this year with awareness and fundraising at their South Cotswold stations on Tuesday 22 October. We are looking for volunteers to help at Reading, Didcot, Bristol, Stroud, Stonehouse, Swindon and Kemble.
- Young People and Student Awareness - send us an email to order a pack of 'Check it, don't chance it' posters to put up in your local area as we prepare for the new university year to begin.
Keep in touch - we love to hear what you are doing!
- Drop us a line on 01453 658 000 when you are raising awareness.
- Ask the Volunteer Team for help and resources to support your activities.
- Send us your photos and stories at email@example.com - we love receiving them!
- Count your preparation and travel time when you let us know your hours.
- Share your volunteering pictures, stories and ideas and virtually meet other ambassadors and volunteers on our Facebook group too.