Where and when?
What is a Believe and Achieve weekend about?
- Having fun
- Making friends
- Building confidence
- Sharing meningitis experiences
- Spending quality time together
- Trying new things
- Believing in yourself and achieving
Who can attend?
- Young people aged 11-18 who have had meningitis or are coping with a family member affected by meningitis. All abilities and experience levels are welcome
- Each young person should be accompanied by one parent or carer. Parents and carers can spend the weekend meeting other parents, and have the option to join in with all the activities
What can you expect?
- Small groups of approximately 6 young people taking part in a structured programme of fun and challenging team activities led by trained PGL staff
- PGL centres provide a huge range of activities for example; high ropes challenge, Jacobs Ladder, abseiling, zip wire, raft building, fencing, archery and canoeing
- Activities take place all day Saturday and Sunday morning
- Parent session (optional) led by Meningitis Now staff
- All meals eaten together in PGL dining hall
- All meals, including evening meal on arrival Friday evening and lunch before departure on Sunday
- Separate en-suite family room accommodation
- All bedding
- PGL insurance cover (copy of policy can be obtained on request)
- A structured programme of fun, challenging team activities led by fully trained PGL staff
- Evening entertainment
- Access to Meningitis Now staff
What's not included?
- Travel cost of getting to and from PGL centre
- Personal expenditure spent in PGL on-site shop and bar
- Any other personal costs
What we ask of you
Our Believe and Achieve weekends are generously funded by BBC Children in Need; without this funding we would not be able to hold these events for families. Therefore, all we ask is when registering for an event, please ensure you are committed to attend, so that all available funded places are filled. If, for unforeseen circumstances you cannot make an event, please let us know as soon as possible to give us the opportunity to offer places to other families.
How to apply
Registration for our Believe and Achieve Weekend is open now:
Friday 5 October – Sunday 7 October 2018, PGL Winmarleigh Hall, Preston, Lancashire
The history behind our Believe and Achieve weekends
Believe and Achieve weekends were inspired by our Founder Young Ambassador, Alex Williams. Alex’s moto in life was ‘Believe and Achieve’.
Alex sadly passed away in 2012 after devoting his life to helping others. Alex’s achievements have been widely recognised and he won two national awards; the News of the World’s Children Champion and a BBC Radio One Teen Award. Alex remains an inspiration to us all.