Call for applications
Applications are now closed. Thank you to those who have applied; we are reviewing preliminary applications during the first week of March 2019 and we will be in touch with all applicants soon after this time.
About our current research awards
The purpose of these awards is to support studies related to the prevention, diagnosis, treatment and outcomes of TB meningitis or pneumococcal meningitis in the UK. Meningitis Now has restricted funding specifically for these areas of research.
Funding for grants up to a maximum of £100,000 per year, with the total grant not exceeding £250,000 over three years, will be available for studies that are:
- Focused on the prevention, diagnosis, treatment or outcomes of TB meningitis or pneumococcal meningitis;
- Based in, and of benefit to, the UK;
- From research teams or individuals with an established record of research into meningitis or associated diseases.
For further information, contact Jane Blewitt, Research Co-ordinator, on 01453 768 000 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
How decisions are made
We are a member of the Association of Medical Research Charities (AMRC) and adhere to their principles of best practice, including accountability, balance, independence, rotation of scientific advisors and impartiality. We run a rigorous peer review process to ensure that only the most worthy research is funded.
Every five years the AMRC audits members' peer review processes. In 2015, our Peer Review process was successfully audited, and we were awarded a certificate of ‘Best Practice in Medical and Health Research Peer Review’. This demonstrates our commitment to the highest standards of accountability, balance, independent decision making, rotation and impartiality in the allocation of research grants.
For more information on our peer review standards visit the AMRC here.
- Call for preliminary, short proposals;
- Screening by small number of research advisory panel members and Meningitis Now staff;
- Invitation to submit full proposal and unsuccessful applicants notified;
- External, independent (peer) review of proposals;
- Opportunity for applicants to respond to reviewer’s comments;
- Assessment by research advisory panel and recommendation of proposals suitable for funding;
- Recommendation to trustees;
- Successful applicants informed and grants awarded;
- Feedback to unsuccessful applicants.
NIHR partnership status
We have been awarded the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) Partnership Status. As a funder that has been awarded NIHR partnership status, research teams we fund will automatically be eligible for consideration for NHS support costs.
Policy on the use of animals in research
We are a member of the Association of Medical Research Charities (AMRC) and support the principle of using animals in research when it is necessary to advance understanding of health and disease and to develop new treatments.
This research only takes place where there is no alternative available. All AMRC member charities support this principle, as outlined in this statement.
We are committed to the principals of replacement, refinement and reduction (3Rs) of animal research and all applications are assessed against this criteria.
For more information about applying for a research grant, our Scientific Medical Advisory Panel (SMAP), Research Programme and Peer Review Process, please contact us on 01453 768 000 or email email@example.com.