Neonatal meningitis – the facts
- Neonatal meningitis occurs in the first 28 days of life
- Many different organisms can cause neonatal meningitis, including group B streptococcal, E. coli and Listeria bacteria. Viruses can also cause neonatal meningitis
- There are around 300 cases of neonatal bacterial meningitis each year in the UK
- 10-12% of these cases are fatal
- Up to 50% may be left with after-effects
For more information about neonatal meningitis, download our fact sheet
Been affected by about neonatal meningitis?
Don’t face meningitis alone. Call our Meningitis Helpline on 0808 80 10 388 to speak to our experienced staff. You can access our free support or ask us any questions. Whatever your experience, whenever it was, please get in touch. Our support is for life.