We use necessary cookies that allow our site to work. We also set optional cookies that help us improve our website For more information about the types of cookies we use, visit our Cookies policy and manage your preferences.


Kassius’s story

6th December 2015

Young Kassius avoided the flu that affected his family, but little did any of them guess he was about to be hit with something even worse

Kassius’s story

As symptoms, including a runny nose, high temperature, vomiting and rapid breathing, developed mum Rachel knew it was time to take him straight to hospital.

She recounts their story here.

“Kassius was two years and three months old when he contracted meningococcal septicaemia on 29th December 2010. We had all been suffering from flu for the previous two weeks, but Kassius and his brother Sam seemed to have escaped this.

“Kassius appeared to be fine on the morning of 29th December and in the afternoon went out for a few hours with his dad. He returned home about 5pm with what appeared to be flu-like symptoms. His eyes were red and watery like his sinuses were blocked, he had a runny nose and a temperature.

“We immediately thought that he was coming down with the flu. This worried me as our own flu symptoms had been particularly bad and I wondered how his little body would cope with what was about to come. Little did I know at that point it would be a whole lot worse than that.

“Kassius’s dad decided to give him a bath in the hope that this would make him feel a little better. When he brought Kassius downstairs he showed me two little pin-prick spots on his shoulder and trunk.

Looked like little bites

“At first they looked like little bites and disappeared when we applied the tumbler test. We continued to keep a close eye on Kassius and on the spots and quite quickly his condition deteriorated, although for a while he would still try and play.

“He began vomiting and would then try and settle. I didn’t feel comfortable taking him to bed and thought it would be better to lie on the sofa with him with a gentle light on so I could keep a close eye on him. His breathing became more rapid and he was still vomiting. On checking the original spots we noticed that they had got bigger and had changed colour, looking more purple than red.

“I think I knew at this point that this was meningococcal septicaemia, something I had always been quite aware of, always dreaded and something that I never thought could happen to my child.

“Just before midnight we decided to take Kassius to A & E. I was panicking inside but trying to stay strong and positive for my son.

My panic was escalating

“Luckily A&E was not too busy that night but our wait to see the nurse seemed to take forever. When we finally saw the nurse and she saw the spots and heard about the other symptoms she called the consultant paediatrician straight away.

“Again it seemed to take forever for the consultant to arrive. My panic was escalating. He was treated with antibiotics for meningococcal septicaemia straight away, prior to tests, and put onto a fluid drip as he was becoming dehydrated.

“I felt from this point on that everything was taken from my hands; there was nothing I could do apart from hope and pray that we had caught this in time and that the antibiotics would work.

“The nurse had also noticed more spots at this stage, some on his back and one on his foot and knee. Kassius was admitted onto the children’s ward and we were given an isolation room. The next four days were spent by his bedside just being there for him and comforting him as much as we could, intermittent with blood being taken from his little veins for more tests.

Prayed constantly

“I am not a religious person at all but I prayed constantly those first few days.

“Once the antibiotics and painkillers had kicked in, he was able to get some restful sleep and this certainly aided his recovery. I remembered all the horror stories I had read or heard about this disease and also about a little boy who had gone to nursery with my eldest son and who unfortunately never recovered from meningococcal septicaemia.

“Luckily, according to the doctors, we had caught it early and they reassured us that although Kassius was very poorly, he was in the right place and they were doing all they could. After day four he woke up from a very long sleep, rolled over and pronounced ‘Oh dear!’ True to character he was eager to get up and play but he got tired very quickly and would need to rest again.

“From this day on he continued to make good progress and we concentrated on getting him to take fluids himself and to try and eat if possible. He was still a very poorly boy but we felt so lucky and happy on the first day that he smiled and laughed again.

“On day seven we were told that he could go home but we would need to make sure he had plenty of rest, as well as trying to get back to some normality and do the things we would usually do.

“Kassius appeared from this terrible trauma apparently unscathed apart from a few tissue scars where his worst spots had been. I still cannot believe to this day how lucky we have been and how our story could have been so different.”