Like all freshers, he was embarking on a new adventure, making new friends, learning new things and had a bright future ahead of him.
Apart from a persistent cough, which he presumed was freshers flu, Teygan appeared to be perfectly healthy. He was enjoying student life in the city, going out at every opportunity and attending classes.
Teygan went home during the October half term and apart from tiredness, he seemed fine. When he returned to uni, Teygan went out for Halloween then out again on the Saturday night. He spent the whole of Sunday in bed.
Someone in his halls checked on him at around 8pm and Teygan gave the impression that he was feeling better. The conversation was held through his door, so he was not actually seen.
Just one hour later Teygan collapsed in the hallway, where he was found by a friend who noticed that he had a rash. Knowing this was a sign of meningitis, his friend called an ambulance straight away. Sadly it was too late and Teygan could not be saved.
Mum, Ailsa, recalls some of her fond memories of Teygan:
“Teygan loved music. He played guitar and piano. He also sang and composed his own songs, creating a vast collection of music videos. He had a great interest in American country music and, at the age of 18, he took himself off to London to attend a country music festival.”
“He studied so hard for his three A-levels at Truro College, achieving really good grades so he could study the language he was passionate about. A language that was self-taught, using books and the internet.”
“Teygan had only been at Manchester University for about six weeks when he died but he had made such a lasting impression that 18 students travelled down for his funeral service.”
“Today, as a family, we are united in our grief and shock at what has happened. We are so lost without Teygan and miss everything about him, including his trademark quirkiness and dry sense of humour.”
“No one had any real awareness of the risks of meningitis at university, neither family nor friends. So many people have expressed their shock at the sudden loss of our son to a disease they thought was associated with the very young.”
“Teygan, however, had got his Men C fresher’s booster jab prior to starting uni, but only as a last minute thought after a friend at work said he could have a free vaccination.”
“Now, with the help of my family and friends, I want to do as much as I can to raise awareness of this terrible disease, especially at universities. We need to make meningitis one of the first things families think of when a student starts preparing for university.”
“This information also has to come from universities and should be in the main information packs sent out to students when they attend their interviews.”
“Teygan will be missed immeasurably and life without him means we will never experience the sense of complete happiness. But, supporting research through fundraising and raising awareness through organised events means we can keep him in our lives.”
Our student awareness week runs from 24 October until 30 October, support us and join the conversation #ACWYnot