- Hearing loss may not be immediately obvious after meningitis
- After bacterial meningitis, everyone should have a hearing test as soon as possible; preferably before leaving hospital or within four weeks of being well enough to test
- If a hearing test has not been carried out, contact your GP and they will arrange this
- All hearing losses are different and hearing tests may need to be repeated
- If you are experiencing hearing problems after viral meningitis, speak to your GP
For more in-depth information about hearing loss following meningitis
Meningitis and Childhood Deafness booklet produced with the National Deaf Children’s Society provides information on the hearing tests that are carried out following meningitis, the effects of any deafness, what can be done to help and the support that is available. This information may also be helpful to school teachers who have children with deafness following meningitis in their class.
We can help
A hearing loss can cause major changes in lifestyle for the individual, family, school etc. For support and information please contact us as there may be ways we can help you.
Other organisations that can help
The National Deaf Children's Society
Provides support for deaf children and campaigns to remove the barriers to achievement for deaf children throughout the world.
Auditory Verbal UK
Auditory Verbal UK is a national charity, which teaches deaf babies and children to listen and speak, so that they can achieve their full potential in life.
The Elizabeth Foundation
A national charity supporting infants and pre-school aged children and their families with hearing loss. It is the Elizabeth Foundation's belief that it is the right of every deaf child to be given the opportunity to learn to listen and talk.
The UK hearing loss organisation that makes it easy to find the right information, services and support. It is for people with any level of hearing loss and their families.
Action on Hearing Loss
The new name for Royal National Institute for the Deaf. The organisation provides support for people with hearing loss and tinnitus.