We use necessary cookies that allow our site to work. We also set optional cookies that help us improve our website For more information about the types of cookies we use, visit our Cookies policy and manage your preferences.


Catarina's story

27th July 2019

Catarina Nunes from London spent a terrifying six weeks in hospital in March this year while doctors tried to work out what was wrong with her

Catarina's story

It was only after a lumbar puncture that Catarina, 30, was diagnosed with a form of viral meningitis. She told us what happened.

“I started to have symptoms on 24 March 2019 - headache, lower back pain, nausea. I went to hospital and was sent back home with paracetamol."

“The symptoms got worse, and I started to lose consciousness, so I went back to hospital but was sent home again with medication. The symptoms continued to get worse and worse, and I returned to hospital for the third time. We had to argue with the doctors that something was definitely wrong and they needed to do more tests."

“At this point I started to lose feeling in my legs, I was unable to go to the toilet, and I was paralysed from waist down. I spent two weeks in hospital before a lumbar puncture was done. I was then transferred to another hospital where I had three more lumbar punctures, a CT scan, a PET scan, MRIs, blood tests etc. That was when they discovered I had meningoencephalitis, which is a bacteria that affects the brain and the spinal cord, causing confusion, loss of memory, and affects movement."

“Thanks to great physios at Neurology Hospital in Russell Square I was slowly able to start walking again. I am currently on steroids, and still not back to normal, my walking is still slow and I stumble a lot. My short-term memory has been highly affected and the side effects of steroids have had a major impact on my life. I am still doing tests and been off work since March. I’m not sure when the doctors will allow me to work again, but I have high hopes it will be soon.”