Evan’s grandmother, Sarah Carvalho, tells her heart-breaking story here
“On the evening of 24th of March my grandson, Evan, was suffering from a temperature so was taken to see a doctor. He was diagnosed with a virus and sent home.
When my daughter checked on Evan at 3:30am the next morning Evan was sleeping peacefully and showed no sign of any further symptoms. At 7:45am when he was brought down for his bottle he was prickled in a rash from the top of his head too his belly button.
His great grandmother performed the glass test and called immediately for an ambulance.
Tragically for Evan, along with many others, the new MenB vaccine implementation comes too late but we are here to support those families affected. We estimate that one life per month could have been lost since the vaccine received its licence in January 2013.
The UK has one of the world’s highest MenB rates, killing more of the country’s under-fives than any other infectious disease.