We use necessary cookies that allow our site to work. We also set optional cookies that help us improve our website For more information about the types of cookies we use, visit our Cookies policy and manage your preferences.


Georgia S’s story

10th March 2016

At first, Lauren thought her eight-year-old daughter Georgia, from Livingston in West Lothian, was coming down with conjunctivitis

Georgia S’s story

But her condition worsened and before long she was taken by ambulance to her local hospital. Georgia had contracted meningococcal septicaemia.

Lauren tells their story here.

“At school on Thursday 21st May 2015 Georgia complained to a teacher that her eye was itchy and sore, so she was given a cold compress to put on it.

“On coming out from school her dad, James, noticed it was swollen, red and weeping. We put it down to conjunctivitis and got her some drops from minor ailments at the chemist. Her eye seemed to be better after using the drops.

“On Saturday 23rd May Georgia came in from playing outside with her friends saying she was tired, so she had a nap on the sofa. When she woke up she said she had a sore leg but given how she'd been lying we told her it was probably pins and needles and it would go away.

Developed a temperature

“That night Georgia developed a temperature and was complaining of feeling poorly but when given Calpol and Ibuprofen she seemed fine.

“On Sunday morning, 24th May, Georgia seemed brighter and had some breakfast, but after just a spoonful she said she had a headache and wanted to lie down. She said it was too bright so we closed the blinds. She then proceeded to be very sick.

“I attempted to take her temperature but she couldn't stop being sick and that’s when I noticed the purple dots appearing on her chest. We immediately phoned NHS24 and after just a few questions they sent an ambulance for her.

Deteriorated very quickly

“We were taken to the local hospital, where she was preliminarily diagnosed with meningitis. She deteriorated very quickly and the decision was made to put her on life support to allow her wee body to rest.

“We were then taken to The Royal Hospital for Sick Kids in Edinburgh that afternoon, where we were told they were hopeful that given the meningitis was caught so quickly Georgia would survive, but they could make no assurances.

“Our lives had been turned upside down in a matter of hours. To see our beautiful little girl with tubes coming out of her and surrounded by machines keeping her alive was heartbreaking.

“We stayed by her bedside hoping and praying that our beautiful little girl would make it.

Our prayers were answered

“Our prayers were answered on Monday 25th May when the doctors said they were going to reduce her sedation and bring her round. She started to wake up, and there were no words for how happy and relieved we were.

“The doctors had warned us at the start that if she survived there was a very real possibility she would be left with complications, but she was waking up and that was what we focused on.

“By Tuesday 26th Georgia was off the ventilator and although she was very tired she was doing really well and showing no signs of any complications. Come Wednesday 27th May, and our gorgeous girl was being transferred out of ITU and onto a ward.

Doctors surprised

“To say how surprised the doctors were that our wee fighter had come out from her ordeal with nothing more than some weight loss is an understatement.

“On Thursday 28th May we were transferred back to our local hospital where Georgia could finish her course of antibiotics. We were discharged on 2nd June 2015.

“Georgia has had no complications and the doctors say that this is because it was recognised and dealt with so quickly – it hadn't had the chance to take hold.

“We are so grateful to the doctors and nurses who saved our daughter's life. Had we not recognised the signs the outcome would not have been a happy one.”