We use necessary cookies that allow our site to work. We also set optional cookies that help us improve our website For more information about the types of cookies we use, visit our Cookies policy and manage your preferences.


Trevor's story

24th February 2015

In November 2011 Trevor Newsome, from Leeds, was 61 when he began suffering with what he thought was a migraine. When his symptoms got worse, he was admitted to hospital and diagnosed with viral meningitis

Trevor's story

“I had been feeling generally unwell. I had a very high temperature, a stiff neck and an aversion to bright light.

I phoned my GP and due to my previous recent medical problems, he gave me a prescription for Migralieve, which I collected without needing to see him.

The Migralieve did nothing, so a couple of hours later I contacted NHS Direct who referred me to a local out of hours centre. When I arrived, I was checked by two doctors who gave me a sealed letter and told me to go straight to A&E at Leeds General Infirmary."

Diagnosis confirmed

“When I arrived at A&E I was seen almost immediately, despite the department being very busy. I was given morphine while I was assessed. My temperature rose to 39.7 degrees and I developed an aversion to bright light. I was transferred to St James University Hospital, where I was treated for potential bacterial and viral meningitis.

A lumbar puncture was carried out, which was positive for enteroviral meningitis. I was put in an isolation ward, and remained there until I was discharged a week later. My consultant told me that I had a particularly severe strain of the virus, but he reassured me that I would get better; the proviso being that recovery could be quite lengthy."

Road to recovery

“Over the next month or so, the headaches and general tiredness gradually subsided, then in February, 2012 I saw the consultant for my second outpatient appointment. He was surprised that I was already back to work, and emphasised how seriously ill I had been. The consultant told me I may have contracted the virus from my two year old granddaughter, who had been staying with us and who had a cold and runny nose at the time.

Since my illness, I have experienced a residual problem with impaired hearing in my left ear, continuous tinnitus and a reduced core body temperature. These have been checked by my GP, along with a visit to an audiologist, and I have been told that these after-effects are really just something I have to live with now.”