Shaun's story

22nd November 2019

Susan’s son Shaun, 27, was poorly over Christmas 2007 and deteriorated in the New Year. He had contracted pneumococcal meningitis and the family were soon faced with the agonising decision to turn the young dad’s life support off. Susan, from Bradford in West Yorkshire, tells their story here

Shaun's meningococcal meningitis story

“Shaun had a cold and earache over Christmas and it gradually got worse."

“On 2 January he went to the out of hours doctors at the hospital, where he was prescribed ear drops."

“The next day he was worse, so went to see his own doctor. He had a severe headache, light sensitivity and a stiff neck and was sent home with antibiotics."

“He was then sick in the afternoon and became unresponsive. An ambulance was called and he was taken to hospital, put on life support and transferred to intensive care."

Unlikely to survive

“The next day we were told he had pneumococcal meningitis and he was unlikely to survive."

“He had brain stem tests on the Friday and was pronounced brain dead at 1.26pm. We then had to turn off his life support."

“He was 27 years old and had a 14-month-old son."

“Shaun is missed every single day. We try to raise awareness of meningitis, especially as it can affect adults, not just babies and young children - it can affect any age."

“We heard about Meningitis Now from the hospital and they have supported us with counselling and through their Family Days.” 

  • Anthony A's bacterial meningitis story

    Anthony A's story

    The suddenness and unexpectedness of it was unbelievably shocking and had a devastating impact on the family

  • Tribute to meningitis victim DJ Barry

    Barry's story

    Tragically he passed away ten weeks before their wedding on 24 April 2008. He was only 27

  • Julie bacterial meningitis case study

    Julie M's story

    It has been nearly 11 years and it never gets easier, you just learn to adjust to not having that person in your life

  • Michelle and Stuart bacterial meningitis case study

    Stuart J's story

    They spent 15 minutes trying to revive him but he had gone. My heart broke that day