Mary Garley

I have been volunteering now for a number of years. It is my therapy, my way of coping

Mary Garley

Community ambassador

We lost our granddaughter, Maisie, in 2008, to meningitis; she was just eight months old. She was taken to hospital early in the morning of 15 October - she was sent home after being told it was just a virus. 

That afternoon she was taken to another hospital and diagnosed with bacterial meningitis.  She was sent late that night to Great Ormond Street Hospital. Her little body could not take any more and she left us on the morning of 16 October. Just 24 hours and she was gone.

Meningitis Now was there for our family; just a phone call away.  I wanted to do something to help this wonderful charity, so I started to volunteer.  I have been volunteering now for a number of years.  It is my therapy, my way of coping.  I give out symptoms cards and information to universities, nurseries and surgeries. I also cheer our runners and cyclists and have arranged Toddle Waddles.  But, mostly I tell people – I tell them that meningitis is a disease that can affect anyone, NOT JUST CHILDREN. This to me is an important and vital message to get out there.

Get in touch with Mary here

  • Holly M

    Holly McNaughton

    Community ambassador

    Hi, I’m Holly. I first became familiar with meningitis when my mum contracted it on 14th April 2012.

  • Anne Cadden

    Anne Cadden

    Community ambassador

    In January 2001, my daughter, Helen, died from meningococcal septicaemia aged 18 while in her first year at university. A friend from Helen’s school, Richard Murphy, also died from meningitis seven weeks later at another university.

  • Lesley Leaver

    Lesley Leaver

    Community ambassador

    I lost my husband, Kevin, to meningococcal septicaemia in January 2000, just five hours after being admitted to hospital. I have been supported by Meningitis Now ever since. 

  • Anne Gaston

    Anne Gaston

    Community ambassador

    My son is now 21, but when he was six months old, he was rushed to hospital with suspected meningitis. Thankfully it turned out not to be meningitis, but it made me realise how little I knew about this devastating disease