Our next Believe and Achieve Weekend at PGL, Winmarleigh Hall, Lancashire on 5-7 October 2018 is now full and registration is closed.
- Having fun
- Making Friends
- Building confidence
- Sharing meningitis experiences
- Spending quality time together
- Trying new things
- Believing in yourself and achieving
“I felt proud of myself for everything I achieved.”
“Doing archery for the first time was awesome!”
“The best memory of the weekend for me was making new friends and having fun.”
Comments from young people attending a Believe and Achieve Weekend in 2017.
- Young people aged 11-18 who have had meningitis or are coping with a family member affected by meningitis. All ability and experience levels are welcome
- Each young person should be accompanied by one parent or carer. Parents and carers can spend the weekend meeting other parents, and have the option to join in with all the activities
“Thank you so much for a fantastic weekend. It was lovely to see my daughter have fun and achieve something she thought she couldn't do. We really enjoyed meeting so many other families who have had similar experiences to us; it makes you feel like you are not alone.”
Feedback from a parent.
- Small groups of approximately 6 young people taking part in a structured programme of fun and challenging team activities led by trained PGL staff
- PGL centres provide a huge range of activities for example; high ropes challenge, Jacobs Ladder, abseiling, zip wire, raft building, fencing, archery and canoeing
- Activities take place all day Saturday and Sunday morning
- Parent session (optional) led by Meningitis Now staff
- All meals eaten together in PGL dining hall
- All meals, including evening meal on arrival Friday evening and lunch before departure on Sunday
- Separate en-suite family room accommodation
- All bedding
- PGL insurance cover (copy of policy can be obtained on request)
- A structured programme of fun, challenging team activities led by fully trained PGL staff
- Evening entertainment
- Access to Meningitis Now staff
- Travel cost of getting to and from PGL centre
- Personal expenditure spent in PGL on-site shop and bar
- Any other personal costs
Our Believe and Achieve weekends are generously funded by BBC Children in Need; without this funding we would not be able to hold these events for families. Therefore, all we ask is when registering for an event, please ensure you are committed to attend, so that all available funded places are filled. If, for unforeseen circumstances you cannot make an event, please let us know as soon as possible to give us the opportunity to offer places to other families.
Registration for our Winmarleigh Believe and Achieve Weekend in October has now closed; please keep an eye on this page for upcoming events.
Download our events calendar
The history behind our Believe and Achieve Weekends
Believe and Achieve weekends were inspired by our Founder Young Ambassador, Alex Williams. Alex’s moto in life was ‘Believe & Achieve’.
Alex sadly passed away in 2012 after devoting his life to helping others. Alex’s achievements have been widely recognised and he won two national awards; the News of the World’s Children Champion and a BBC Radio One Teen Award. Alex remains an inspiration to us all.
Read Alex's story.